Research shows that:
Types Of Diet Choices Advertised:
- Women eating out with men will often eat less
- If an individual is out with someone that tends to eat more you may eat more
- If you are out with an individual that chooses more unhealthy foods, you may too
- Couples over time food choices blend
- Adolescents eat unhealthier in the presence of friends
- The presence of an eating partner does affect food choices
- Decrease in cardiovascular disease
- See decrease in inflammation in the body
- Identify a role of this diet in prevention of overweight and obesity
- May prevent abdominal obesity
Ruiz-Cabello, P., Coll-Risco, I., Acosta-Manzano, P., Borges-Cosic, M., Gallo-Vallejo, F.J., Aranda, P., Lopez-Jurado, M. & Aparicio, V.A. (2017) Influence of the degree of adherence to the Mediterranean diet on the cardiometabolic risk in peri and menopausal women. Nutrition, Metabolism & Cardiovascular Diseases
. 27, 217-224.Vegetarian diet may
Behavioral Life Style Changes
- Lead to lower BMI
- Lead to smaller weight gains
- Lead to increase in fiber
- Associated with healthy adults
- Use as many herbs and spices for taste
- May be a concern with no protein in diet.
- Ask for advice from health care provider
You may want one on one support or group support to identify what is best for you. This may assist you to make healthier choices with eating and exercise and mental status. Research shows if you attend group or have one on one sessions with behavioral weight loss program it improves weight loss goals.
- Need to consume healthy choices
- More self-control
- Improve problem solving
- Set goals
- Use assertive training as needed
- Taste does change towards healthy choices after treatment
- Putting high value on taste may lead to poorer weight control
Sleep- adopt healthy sleep patterns, 7 to 8 hours per night and will help decrease obesity. Psychosocial-greater reduction in obesity associated with psychosocial well being.
Journal of Health psychology, article on Champion Behavior in a community obesity reduction program: feedback from peers.
This article discusses obesity: treatments in the past have had limited success.
Reaching out to partners or stake holders in the community and lay health advisors or champions have been noted to have increased recognition as an influential strategy for chronic disease self-management and health promotion at the community level.
Champions offer an effective means of addressing health-related attitudes, beliefs, and social norms at the social network and community levels.
Characteristics of a Champion are: in health promotion or community settings are: Enthusiasm, confidence, success of innovation, persisting despite adversity and involving the right people. These individuals improved nutrition, physical activity behaviors.
Waist Disposal Challenge: WDC: this organization goes out to service clubs and do health promotion. They target hard to reach populations, middle aged and older overweight or obese men at risk of developing chronic disease: diabetes and heart disease.
This research showed overall that the program WDCX was well received, success of the program was linked to the champions behavior.